Snowflake sweater

It has been a crazy week and a half! Report cards are due and too many meetings are going on.The bright side is I have a whole week of vacation starting Monday!  So expect blogging galore on my time off. For vacation and the holiday I will be heading back to Massachusetts to see my family. I am excited to see them, but not to be back in the artic temperatures! I was pulling out all of my heavy sweaters when I came across this gem that I made what seems like eons ago. I was looking over my work and realized how much my technique and knowledge has evolved.

I got this pattern from Vogue Knitting Internationals Holiday 2007 edition. It is a Fair Isle Cardigan by Londoner Bliss. The pattern called for Debbie Bliss’ KFI Cashmerino Baby weight yarn. As I was on a budget (and did not appreciate fine yarn yet)  I used acrylic yarn instead. This was a bad choice as the sweater doesn’t look as luxurious as it should. A wiser Whit knows that when you spend that much time on something it is way better to spend the money and go for the pricier yarn choice.

 I think I had been knitting about 4 years at this point. So I wasn’t a beginner, but this was my first shot at complex color work.  As you can see, I pulled the yarn behind the work a little too tight as you can see the rippling of the piece.

wpid-IMG_20131120_060806.jpg  wpid-IMG_20131120_060356.jpg

Not bad for my first shot. Makes me wonder if I should try something like this again to see if I have improved.


New Stitch!

I decided that November would be my time to try more challanging stitches. I picked up the Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns at the local library.

Featured in lilac acrylic is Overlapping Waves.


I created a beanie and added a button to stylize it a little more. I am really loving this stitch pattern and need to find another project to incorperate it into.

Project Finished!

Well I finally reached the peak of the mountain. After about 2.5 months, I have completed the Dogwood Blanket from Tin Can Knits pattern found in 9 Months of Knitting. It was a hard project for me as you saw in my previous blog posting (see link below), but I did it! I think it came out looking pretty good. I will defiantly keep my new little cousin warm.

Things I would change if I ever made this again:

1) I would block each piece as I go. I only blocked the first square to make sure it came out as a square and that I didn’t bind off too tight.  The white square was knit with a little tighter of a gauge so I had to really stretch it when blocking for sewing.

2) Possibly crochet the edges to make it a uniform square. As you can see some of the outer edges are wavy looking.

3) Pick bolder colors. I really like the blanket being different colors and wish I had picked some crazier colors.